Saturday, March 7, 2009

Crazy Couple Weeks

The past few weeks out here in Vegas have been everything you expect from life in Las Vegas: fast paced, exciting and full of big events. I've had my hand in a several projects here at the Sun, and they have certainly kept me busy.

Last weekend, the NASCAR Shelby 427 Sprint Cup Series race came to town, and I covered the race on Sunday. We had a number of reporters/ photogs/ video people at the race, and I wrote two stories. Overall, we had about 20 stories, 10 videos, several hundred photos, an timeline of events, several blogs and columns on the race. We like to do things big.

Last weekend, we also had the high school basketball state championships in town, and I covered a number of the games.

Then this Wednesday and Thursday Major League Baseball came to town for Big League Weekend. The Cubs and White Sox played two spring training games at Cashman Field, the minor league field for the Las Vegas 51's. Both games had sold out crowds and great atmospheres. Yeah, it was just spring training, but Cubs and White Sox fans treat every game like it's game 7 of the World Series.

I was one of the two sports reporters from the Sun covering Big League Weekend, and I loved it. Covering major league baseball is a great time, and I think being a beat reporter for a MLB team is one of the coolest jobs to have. I produced a video about the weekend, and also wrote an article about the intensity of the rivalry.

With NASCAR, Big League Weekend and basketball state championships over, now it's time to start wrapping up things here in Vegas. Only two weeks left. I had two big projects during my internship (in addition to the day-to-day work), and I'm getting close to having those ready to go live.

I think those projects are going to be my best work of this internship, and also some of my proudest work as a journalist. I'm pumped for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment