Tuesday, March 3, 2009

That's unfortunate

I learned today that the Columbus Dispatch laid off 45 employees. I guess they started informing people around 7 AM Tuesday morning about whether or not they were going to be around anymore.

I've interned at the Dispatch three times. Once as a "follow-around-the-reporter" intern during my senior year in high school. Then twice as a city desk intern during my long winter break. I've spent a lot of time at the Dispatch, and know a lot of people there, so it was sad to hear about the layoffs. Not sure who made it through the layoffs, but I'd definitely like to know who survived and what areas were hit the hardest.

Like I said in a previous post, times are definitely tough. As journalists, we need to find ways to give people content they want to read and watch. I love what I'm doing here at the Sun, and I'm learning about some ways to do just that.

As hard as it is to believe, my time here is getting close to winding down. I have just over two weeks left. But I'm going to be busy and make the most of that time.

The next two days I'm covering MLB spring training in town. Then we have the West Coast Conference tournament this weekend, high school soccer state championships and the Mountain West conference tournament. Then it's March Madness, which is a big deal in Vegas. So in the Vegas sports scene, I'll be busy.

I also have a couple of big projects that will be rolling out during that time, and I can't wait to see how they look!

No comments:

Post a Comment